Crossing into Missouri

 



I think we all had a love-hate relationship with Kansas. We loved the east and hated both the west and the ill-considered rumble strips all over the damn place.

Today was unexpectedly hard. Rollers and Cross/headwind.  Plus, the first half was on a road with no usable shoulder and a lot of traffic buzzing by very close. That requires a great deal of concentration on your line in the road and you can’t listen to music and you can’t look at the scenery. You’re just trying to stay safe. And doing that for 2 1/2 hours gets tiring.

Just after our second SAG in Atchison, Kansas, we rode over the Missouri river on the Amelia Earhart Bridge.  

Amelia Earhart Bridge

I shared with everyone the Purdue connection, both the fact that she took off from the Purdue airport to start her ill fated around the world flight. And the fact that Purdue bought her the plane she used. Coincidentally the same plane models currently in use on the daily Purdue to Chicago milk run. 

Southern Airways fleet

Anyway, once on the other side, we were in our seventh state


We had an uneventful 16 miles before reaching the outskirts of St Joseph MO. Now, normally, once you get to the city limits, the ride is basically done. Because you’re going slow on city streets. Lots of stop signs and stoplights. So even if you’re low on fuel or hydration it’s no big deal. 

 Today for some reason, I decided to eat my last Skratch bar 12 miles out. And I am really glad I did. Because Saint Joe’s is up and down up and down up and down.  (Social media Influencer commercial… If you want to try an energy bar that isn’t too sweet but manages to hit your legs in about 20 minutes. I’d try Skratch. I absolutely love these things.  Oh, and honeystinger bars… )

The hidden gem in St Joseph is the southwest Parkway that stretches for about 6 miles through the center of the town. It’s fantastic green space with disc golf courses and baseball diamonds and running paths and switchbacks!

Amazing switchbacks in a city park!
(photo credit Jodie Oates)

  I thought I was climbing up to Sedona again….and descending at high speeds on smooth S curves.  So great!

Saint Joseph’s is historically famous for a couple of reasons. It was a jumping off point for westward expansion. People would gather themselves up on the eastern side of the Missouri and wait till it was crossable and then head west.  It was the Eastern terminus of the pony express that for a short time offered mail service all the way to Sacramento, California. And it was where the outlaw Jesse James lived and died.   (Knowledge credit: Wikipedia)

I had sort of imagined, before I started this trip, that I would see more of the towns that we ride into. But at the end of a long riding day, the thing that sounds best is a soak in the hotel pool and getting my feet up. Then eating large quantities of food. Touring around and seeing historical sites is just not all that appealing.

It looks like tomorrow is going to be a tough one. Nearly 90 miles with lots of climbing and headwind and rain.  So I’m going to revert to the mantra I used to get me over the mountains in California and Arizona… It takes as long as it takes.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training Montage

Riverside to Indio, and some hard news

Packing and Travel Day