Leaving Las Vegas…and it’s a long way to Tucumcari

 First thing this morning we were 


…and heading east 


Our first stop (after 27 miles of climbing and rollers) was the site of possibly my favorite scene from


Which takes place here




Definitely heads   Definitely  

Because shortly after leaving there, I almost ran over a rattlesnake. I came within maybe 6 inches of it, and it rose up, startled as I passed by and rattled and hissed at me.  I mean, it could’ve taken a bite out of my gator skin tires and flatted me again, but it just gave me that rattlesnake death stare and left me alone.

About 10 miles after that, we had a spectacular descent off of the Mesa we were on. Really steep grades and gorgeous views. Not sure this picture does it justice but off to my left is this deep gorgeous that we transited out of at high speeds  


Lots of up-and-down and one particularly steep climb that lasted about a mile and peaked out at about a 9 1/2% grade. Which is steep, unless you have been riding all day, and then it’s just a freaking wall.



It was a hot dry day, and despite drinking constantly, I couldn’t stay ahead of my hydration.  But thankfully, we had wind at our back for the last 30 miles to zoom in past some really beautiful scenery.



Once we got into Tucumcari, we had another ride past the usual Route 66 collection of historic hotels and goofy diners.   



And at long last 


My legs are feeling strong. My spirit is good. I am really enjoying the vast emptiness of this part of the country.  Photos can’t do it justice. Not the same way your eyes can when you scan  270° and see nothing but blue sky, empty land, mesas, and a ribbon of road disappearing just over the horizon.  


At one point, we rode for 30 miles without encountering an intersection.  We sometimes stop, as we did today, at little family run gas station/convenience stores. With very little on the shelves and no one  around for an hours drive.  And you think how these families are trying to scratch a living out of the occasional driver (or bicyclist!) coming in to buy a candy bar or a can of soda.  Especially along these historic routes, you see the economic wreckage of low population density. I can’t count how many decrepit buildings, failed gas stations, rusted out cars, empty diners, and dead hotels… All because the interstate passed them by.

Tomorrow we ride into Dalhart, Texas close to 100 miles, past vast feedlots. I’m told it will remind me of my hometown of Greeley Colorado. And it’s unique smell.








Comments

  1. Gorgeous photos! Am wondering what movie will be next? Amazing to me you are almost in Texas! Wishing you a ‘no rattlesnake and the wind at your back’ day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Training Montage

Riverside to Indio, and some hard news

Packing and Travel Day