Great Bend



More wind today. But a few degrees on the compass makes all the difference in the world. We started off with a crosswind for about 30 miles. It was tolerable because it was coming from our right and not blowing cars into us. And as we turned north east and the wind swung more to the south we actually had a trailing wind for a solid 40 miles or more.

You know you’ve gotten used to long-distance cycling when you look at the cue sheet after a few hours and think… Oh good! Only 50 more miles today.


We stopped at a sign that is halfway across the US… If you’re going San Francisco to New York. But we’re going diagonally and have another almost 200 miles before we’re halfway to Boston.  But,…getting close.  For perspective. 


Other scenes…

If we clap really hard… This plane will get its wings!
h/t Steve Harvey


Little known Plains Sasquatch

A lot of people think the Sasquatch only roams the Pacific Northwest. But clearly there is a special breed of Plains Sasquatch in the middle of Kansas.  Not shy either  

This just looks like a pretty prairie landscape. But as we were approaching it, it looked like a scene out of the dust bowl.


That Brown stuff in the air is a lot of dirt and dust held aloft by the wind. 

Speaking of the dust  bowl… I guess they didn’t learn their lesson because there are very few trees in this place. Wasn’t that the thing? Like you needed to plant trees to break up winds blowing hundreds of miles across the open prairie and taking your farmland away? No freaking trees.  ðŸ¤·‍♂️

The last half of the ride, I was just listening to music and zoning out. Until I came across this sign and had to snap a pic for the appreciation of my kids.  If you know, then you know.

Specializing in corporate awards

Got to the hotel and was handed a tornado safety bulletin. No basement in this hotel and so if needed tonight, I will take shelter in my bathtub!  And…this just happened  


Also, the building next-door was on fire, and the parking lot was full of firetrucks.  

But the hot tub was hot and the pool was cold and alternating soaks in both was just what my aching body needed. This was seven straight days of riding, and two more until our next rest day in Eastern Kansas. I am tired.

—- 

I think the power of a trip like this is to find in its routine only the essential parts of the day. And strip out everything that’s unnecessary.  I don’t know what’s happening on the news. I don’t know what’s happening in Sports. I don’t know what’s happening at work.  I mostly don’t care.

Each day is extremely simple.   Wake. Eat. Dress. Bike until exhausted.. Clean up. Eat.  Write a little. Sleep.  Maybe throw in a text conversation or two with friends or family when I’m lucky enough to catch them available.  I feel like a monk.

I can’t and don’t want to do this forever, of course. But it is surprising how quickly… in only three weeks… so many things that I thought to be an important part of my day have just fallen away.  There is a lot of power in simplicity and focus.

The trick on my return will be to reinsert myself into life without adding all the complication and noise.  Finding and focusing on the essence of each day.   And letting that be enough.





Comments

  1. You have found Zen. Share some with Alan for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the photos from today! I’m happy you are able to be disconnected from the busyness of your usual life. I pray you are able to keep things simpler when you return. gt

    ReplyDelete
  3. "power in simplicity and focus" - gotta love that...think you found the key - getting to the point you don't care about that extraneous stuff/stuff that doesn't really matter! Enjoy your coming day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many antique farm implements still operating out here. You’d love it.

      Delete
  4. I love that. “There is alot of power in simplicity and focus.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Training Montage

Riverside to Indio, and some hard news

Packing and Travel Day