Illini territory

 


It is a measure of how far we’ve come and how our fitness has built up that we can look at a 92 mile day, following a 106 mile day, following two days of hellacious climbing, and say ho hum.

We had crosswinds again all day that slowed us down and that required serious power output to maintain that deliberate pace.  But it wasn’t, you know, hard.   We just knocked it out.  My acceleration into the wind has gotten crazy.

I keep thinking about what other nutty biking thing I can do to use all this fitness, after this ride, and before this fitness fades.  Because it is off the hook.

I think my favorite part of the day was that the 16+ people who ride in the “fast” group stayed together for the entire day.  (And picked up a number of the early starters as we went along.). The Georgia boys and the Germans Jens and Olaf were at the tip of the spear early, then the Columbus ladies, then John and I took over when the winds picked up late.   “David, you’re really good in the wind, why don’t you go pull for 5-10 miles?”   I see you.

The roads were exactly what I’m used to at home.   Small lanes winding past out of the way farmhouses, and through endless corn and soybean fields, with only an occasional mild incline or decline.

I listened to Daft Punk, and Eagle-Eye Cherry, and Ed Sheeran, and Cake, and Queen, and Black Keys, and T-Rex, among others.   I think T-Rex’s “Dandy in the Underworld” may be one of my favorite songs in quite some time.

We stopped at Peyton’s (mechanic/firefighter) bike shop on the way into Champaign and his mom had popsicles for us. :). Nice shop!  But they have a menacing neighbor.



I took a gamble and got a Great Clips haircut that turned out… not bad.   At least not bad for wearing under a helmet for the next 17 days.

I don’t know what is going on in Illinois, but every gas station has slot machines.  Riding through Decatur (home of Millikin University!) it seemed like every other establishment was either a dedicated gambling hall or a restaurant/shoe store/child care center loaded up with slot machines and video poker.

Staying at a Drury Inn again, which meant the usual free spread of pulled pork, Mac n cheese, nachos and hot dogs, and free alcohol.   Most people went out to eat someplace fancy.   I wasn’t interested.   Food just isn’t doing it for me these days, except purely as fuel.   Looking forward to my vegetable fast when I return home.

In related news, I had to adjust my helmet straps today because my face has gotten too skinny for it to fit with the proper snugness.

We have a rest day tomorrow, and as I’ve already done most of my chores, I think I will head out to see a movie.   Either the latest Mad Max or the latest Planet of the 🦍.

After tomorrow’s rest we ride for seven days through my home state of Indiana (I’ve been dragooned to serve as tour guide…) and Ohio.  Then a rest day in Erie PA.  Then seven days of riding in New York and New England and… we’re done.   How can we be down to just 14 days and 1200 miles?   

Maybe I’ll just do a 180 and head back to the west coast.   This idea that the prevailing winds run west to east seems to be B.S. anyway…




Comments

  1. Wow, by the time you reach the East coast you’re going to be in pretty good shape! You’ll have to dream up another challenge. Ride on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Appreciating your encouragement! Dh

      Delete
  2. How old are the cyclists who can do such a tour. How old is the oldest rider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 56 I’m one of the youngest. I think our average. Age this year is 63. Most years on this tour it’s 68. A few of our strongest riders are in their 70s. A lot depends on how hard you train before you start. Dh

      Delete
  3. Wow! It’s amazing to look at this map and see how close you are getting to the east coast!
    Doing another challenge when you get home would be nice to take advantage of your current fitness level, and probably help as you ease back into normal life.
    I am shocked at the age of the riders! I thought surely most were younger.
    It must be quite difficult to consume so many calories each day, especially since so many hours are spent on a bike. Part of the job right now. Enjoy your day of rest, including plenty of buttered popcorn at the cinema! gt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ride on, man! Soon Indiana. Will your route be similar to RAIN at all? ~SKB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RAIN runs from Terre Haute to Richmond more or less along I-40. We’ll enter the state north of there, paralleling I74 to and through Indy. Then pretty much same as RAIN from Indy eastward, though we’ll be on frontage roads rather than 40. (40 is scary in the west, not so much in Indiana.) dh

      Delete
  5. How amazing! So sorry I didn’t see this before you passed through Champaign….I would have stopped over to cheer you on! Best of luck on the remainder of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear of your journey. Congratulations on making this dream a reality
    Brian Ewell Purdue MBA 2001

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make it a double feature and go see them both - I want too! I wondered if you would be thinking about turning around and riding back...I can see a bike trip across Europe in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing this! I still think you’re slightly crazy but can tell you are having a blast. Cara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - Sounds like such a great break from routine! A real sabbatical! - BTW - no rain predicted in Indiana for the next 10 days. You should have a dry ride through the state. What day will you be near Indy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Indy tomorrow (Friday June 7)

      Delete
  10. You're killing it David. And you're so close to home. I'd be tempted to ride to Lafayette and sleep in my bed for a night. : )

    Keep up the hard work you'll be at the Atlantic Ocean in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Overall how are the cars/trucks towards the riders? Any close calls or most drivers polite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The overwhelming majority of drivers have been respectful, giving us space and not creating problems. There have been three or four occasions, where a driver has yelled at me. Usually some version of bikes don’t belong on this road. And sometimes when a car had to wait behind us to make a pass. They go roaring by at far too great speed. I haven’t had any anything that I would call a close call. Dh

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Training Montage

Riverside to Indio, and some hard news

Packing and Travel Day