The Calm Before the Storm

 Today was the easiest ride we have left, other than the short jaunt to the Atlantic to dip our wheels on Friday. 


But it was hot.  And it’s going to get hotter as we do  three tough days. 100 miles and then 80 and then 90, all of them with mid 90s heat by noon and the last two with very difficult climbs.

My fitness level is good, maybe even great, but the heat is a wildcard in all of this. So I spent all day today hydrating as much as I could, and trying to save effort and energy for the next three.  I drank like I did in the Mojave but it wasn’t enough…

Despite taking it easier, I’ve got some aches and pains that won’t go away. And probably won’t until I’ve been off the bike for at least a week. I’ve got some strange pain under my left shoulder blade. My left Achilles is tight and bothering me. My feet continue to hurt on longer rides (hot feet from a compressed nerve that runs through the ball of the feet). My left quad is sore. And I have what feels like the start of carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists and tender spots everywhere I touch the bike.  The accumulated stress of riding like this day after day doesn’t get washed away with a single rest day. So there’s nothing for it other than to push forward and finish this.

290 miles to go…

And now…your 2024 Ride Cross America Most Valuable Gear countdown… bonus edition (cause I can’t count and we only have three real riding days left after today…)

#5 Shokz Jawbone conduction Headphones 

I didn’t have these at the start of the ride, but most of the other riders were wearing them so I picked them up in the Santa Fe REI.  Plenty of battery for a seven hour ride. Super lightweight, so you forget they are on your head, you can hear road noise, and your fellow riders very clearly. If you want to jam to something really loud, you can blast it as high as you want provided you’re on a safe stretch.  In principle, you could take a phone call, but I am not doing that.  Definite addition to any solo rides I go on in the future.


#4. Wahoo power meter pedals 


I started training with a power meter in December, working with my coach Clayton Feldman. The first time I rode trying to keep power as opposed to speed constant was a complete revelation. It’s technically difficult at first, but so much easier on your body.  It is so much better than trying to watch your heart rate, because your heart rate is a lagging indicator of your effort levels. When you start up an incline, putting too much power into the pedals, by the time your heart rate catches up It’s too late and you’re already cooked.  When we were climbing the long steep grades out west, I already knew that I could maintain 220 W of power for 30 minutes, because I’ve been doing it over and over again in practice. So I just ignored my speed and ignored everything else other than keeping my power somewhere between 200 and 220 W.  Will do the same thing when we hit the steep climbs in Vermont and New Hampshire. Bonus… Seeing how much stronger I’ve gotten over the course of the tour and how much power I can put out over these rollers. Very hard to understand that personal growth just looking at speeds.

Comments

  1. Nice! I like your technical recommendations. Almost there, man! Stay healthy and safe and don’t crank the Pet Shop Boys too loudly! 🤣 SKB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Training Montage

Riverside to Indio, and some hard news

Packing and Travel Day