It’s a Wonderful Life

 I chose this title for three reasons. First, we visited the bridge where the famous scene from Its a Wonderful Life was filmed. 


Or maybe it inspired the bridge where it was filmed in a studio lot? Not sure. Anyway Seneca Falls has totally leaned into this… calling it George Bailey Lane and decorating the bridge with bells for the angel.  I took the opportunity to expound on the benefits of a carefully managed deposit to asset ratio in a community bank.

Second…it really is a wonderful life that affords me the opportunity for an experience like this.  The occasionally difficult daily grind of it all sometimes disguises the extraordinary nature of what I and my friends have been able to do over the last 6 1/2 weeks. And I can’t believe we only have four riding days left.   But I am so grateful.

Third… It’s Father’s Day and my three kids have really helped to make this a wonderful life. ❤️

It is strange to be out here riding on Father’s Day. Tanya and I have had a multi year discussion about the purpose of Father’s Day. For a long time I maintained that the purpose was for me to do whatever I wanted on account of being a father. Her view was that it was a day to spend time with my kids AS a father.

The irony is that if you asked me, what would be a great Father’s Day present? I would say being on my bike riding across the country. So in some sense, I’m doing exactly what I want to be doing.  (And…very gracious of my family to accept and support that!) Except this year I find myself wishing that I were spending time with my kids.

Of course, they aren’t kids now. They are wonderful young adults leading fun and meaningful lives.

Here are my two bikers …Alex and Abby (with the Posties jerseys for a Fathers Day ride a few years back!  Wore this today)


And my swimmer Emily and me training in the Gulf of Mexico, shortly before the shark sighting. 😬



My girls 


And some high quality cycling coaching in the cul de sac. 


It’s possible this explains why the kids quit every sport I helped coach  😂

Kids…thanks for making fatherhood so amazing.

And Dad, thanks for teaching me so much…I’m so glad the larger family was able to be there with you today.

Okay…back to the ride.   It was a bit headwindy so after John and I pulled for the first 10 miles in a pretty good clip, everyone slowed way down and dogged it into our first SAG.  The Finger Lakes are gorgeous  

John and I led out again for about 16 miles, including the bridge stop. Then we faced this massive climb. And all the general classification contenders went flying by the two of us to race up the hill. I guess our jobs as domestiques were done!!

The other notable stop was the Erie Canal.  (It took Jim exactly zero prompting to start belting out Fifteen Miles…).  


  

  I was a bit disappointed in their wildlife souvenir policy

The spin into Syracuse was lovely   Tree lined and swoopy.   My power meter software told me I worked too hard today. I believe it…time to eat all the food.


Two last notes  

OK…those of you who’ve been reading all along know that I went a good long time without a flat until I had a dinner conversation in a NM Cracker Barrel with Jim about all the flats he  had.  Then boom. I had three flats.  Flash forward to yesterday morning when Jim asked me… Had any flats lately? And like an idiot, I answered not since Kansas. I got back to my room last night  and… Flat.

Jim. You are a movie buff. You should know the first rule... 

The first rule of flat club is you don’t talk about flat club. The second rule of flat club is....YOU DONT TALK ABOUT FLAT CLUB!!!

And now for the 2024 Ride Across America Most Valuable Gear countdown

#6 Wahoo Element Bolt Bike Computer 

Great battery life.  Customizable screens. Good integration with Ride with GPS, power meters, and my radar unit. Multicolored display Is especially helpful when you’re on climbs.  It shows the elevation changes in color-coded way so you can do a quick check of how steep it’s getting in front of you as well as how long this descent is going and whether you should slow down.  Only a couple of riders are using bike computers without GPS and they are riding a lot more unnecessary Miles.






Comments

  1. Hey, you gave your kids something to brag about this Fathers Day — “guess what my Dad is doing?”

    Ride on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Training Montage

Riverside to Indio, and some hard news

Packing and Travel Day